We have already given an account of the Clementines in the Introductory Notice to the Recognitions.1 All that remains for us to do here, is to notice the principal editions of the Homilies. The first edition was published by Cotelerius in his collection of the ApostolicFathers, from a manuscript in the Royal Library at Paris, the only manuscript of the work then known to exist. He derived assistance from an epitome of the work which he found in the same library. The text of Cotelerius was revised by Clericus in his edition of Cotelerius, but more carefully by Schwegier, Stuttgart, 1847. The Paris ms. Breaks off in the middle of the fourteenth chapter of the nineteenth book.
In 1853 (Göttingen) Dressel published a new recension of the Homilies, having found a complete manuscript of the twenty Homilies in the Ottobonian Library in Rome. In 1859 (Leipzig) he published an edition of the two Epitomes of the Homilies, — the one previously edited by Turnebus and Cotelerius being more fully, and the other appearing for the first time. To these Epitomes were appended notes by Frederic Wiesler on the Homilies. The last edition of the Clementines is by Paul de Lagarde (Leipzig, 1865), which has no new sources, is pretentious, but far from accurate.